Hiring a social media manager can help you take your online presence to the next level.
Social media is overwhelming.
Especially when your business is growing (Wahoo!) and people are starting to check you out on social.
You’ve got a business to run and an impact to make. And now that you’re starting to really grow, spending hours in front of the computer trying to figure out how to get the most out of your social media feels like a bit of a nightmare.
If you’re ready to amp up your social, it’s time for you to find a social media manager.
There’s no shortage of talented social media managers out there who can take care of your social media channels for you. This lets you focus on doing what you do best: growing your biz.
But hiring a social media manager brings out a whole new set of challenges. How can you make sure you find the right person for your business? And what exactly are they going to be doing all day, anyway?
I’ve seen people become frustrated and disillusioned with social media. You might think it just doesn’t work for you. Or doesn’t bring results.
Yet, most of the time when people are frustrated with social media, it’s because they haven’t put in the time at the start to figure out what they really want from social.
Wanting your business to be good at social media isn’t enough. Just like any area of business, you need to figure out what you want before you can go for it!
Here are my top 4 pieces of advice to hire a stellar social media manager:
1. Know what you want
What are you hoping to achieve with social media?
- Do you want to drive leads to your website?
- Build a community around you and your brand?
- Retain your current customers?
- Become an online authority in your niche?
There are a lot of creative ways social media can be used. Knowing what kind of help you are looking for, and what your big goals with social are, will help you find the person with the right skill set to help you reach those goals.
2. Know what you need help with
What are you looking to take off your plate with social media?
Do you want to hand over everything to someone else?
Or are you looking for something more specific like:
- community management
- Influencer outreach
- Or creative content?
Maybe you only need help creating a strategy and can do the rest your self.
Knowing what investment you are ready to make in social media, and how much you’re ready to hand off, will help you write a job description or call for proposals that are going to attract a freelancer or agency that’s right for you.
3. What metrics are important to you
What will success look like for you?
- Do you want to increase your following?
- Direct leads to your website?
- Boost engagement?
Knowing what success looks like before you begin will help you get the most out of an ongoing relationship with your social media manager.
4. Traits to look for in a social media manager
Now that you’ve figured out what you want, what your goals are, and what you need help with, you’re ready to hire! So, what traits should you be looking for in a social media manager?
The best social media managers are:
- Creative. They know how to create words, images, and videos that tell a story to your audience.
- Curators. Creating content is just the beginning. Curating interesting content for your audience is an important way to engage your audience and expand your community.
- Sociable. Yes, your social media manager should have good social skills! They need to be able to connect with your community members and respond to customer service requests with kindness.
- Tech savvy. There are a lot of tools out there to make managing your social media channels more effective. Someone who can recommend and set up these tools for you will be a great addition to the team!
I hope these tips help you find the perfect social media manager for your business! If you’re interested in learning more about me and my work, head over to my about page!